Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Bananaslugs or the Fighting Artichokes?
Below is a list of the top 10 worst school mascots. I thought this was so funny because I'm constantly asking Jeremiah what a Buckeye is or why Stanford has a tree on their uniforms. My high school was the Manzano Monarchs and everyone thought it was a butterfly, but it was a Lion - like in king of the jungle- and monarch being a king. Confusing, I know.
1. The Anteaters (UCI): Such an honorable and brave animal. Everyone should want to be an anteater.
2. The Bananaslugs (UCSC): Does anyone even know what a Bananaslug IS?
3. Crimson (Harvard): … that’s like, a color, right?
4. The Fighting Artichokes (Scottsdale Arizona Community College): As if they weren’t already feeling down that they are at a community college; they had to make their mascot a fighting VEGETABLE?
5. Hawaii Rainbow Warrior (Hawaii): This one goes without explanation. We know Hawaii has lots of rainbows, but rainbows aren’t for beating and winning! They are for leprechauns and Care Bears.
6. Beavers (Oregon State): Come on, bite that wood!
7. Violets (NYU): What’s with all the smarty pants and their colors? Harvard Crimson and NYU Violets? Are these people too busy studying to pick out a tangible mascot?
8. Volunteers (University of Tennessee): While it’s honorable, it’s also lame.
9. Lord Jeffs (Amherst): Yes, we thought it was a joke too. Amherst has the oldest athletic program in the nation. Doesn’t that mean they could have picked the COOLEST mascot because no one else had one yet? And they picked the Lord Jeffs. Tragic.
10. Mule Riders (Southern Arkansas): We weren’t even aware that people still rode mules. Do they? In Southern Arkansas, maybe.